Sourdough: A friend asked if I could bring some of the first batch along when I visited her - but I didn't think it would be great after 5 days (and in the end there wasn't any left), so I made my second batch a couple of days earlier than planned.
The first batch was made primarily with Coles brand wholemeal flour. The second with Biodynamic Wholemeal Wheat Flour by Red Gum Milling. This second flour was much finer, without all the obvious pieces of bran. I also tried to handle the dough less between the first & second proof - to retain more of the air as I felt the first batch was a bit dense for my liking (SMD described it as tasting & feeling like a German Rye Bread - fine if that is what you want). The other change is that the second proof took place overnight in the fridge, so I could bake the bread fresh in the morning.
This is the result:
|I forgot to slice the tops - so they are very plain looking.|
I have planted out the seedlings that I showed you in "Inactive - not quite" into the second vegetable garden. And labelled them using plastic labels cut from a 2 litre milk bottle. I found that the icy-pole sticks quickly grew mould and became unreadable, hopefully these will work better.
|Seedlings newly planted - still in their toilet roll or egg carton homes.|
The potatoes in the chicken feed bags are going well.
I have already added some lucerne hay to the bags, and straight after this picture was taken I rolled the sides up a bit and added plenty of soil, filling up the gaps as much as I could, then gave them a good water.
And lastly - the first vege bed is going OK - with its beetroot, carrots & bok choy.